BEACHES (RIVER ACCESS, SWIMMING, HIKING

  • Hughlett’s Point Nature Preserve.  Sandy beach on the Chesapeake Bay at Dividing Creek.  End of Rt. 605 off Rt. 200, North of Kilmarnock.  462-5030.

CRUISES

  • Tangier Island and Chesapeake Cruises on the Chesapeake Breeze, departing from Buzzard’s Point Marina near Lillian at the end of Rt. 656.  For reservations call 453-2628.
  • Smith Island Cruise aboard the Captain Evans, departing from KOA Campground in Reedville.  For reservations call 453-3430.


FERRIES

  • Sunnybank Ferry:  The Northumberland connects Rt. 644 from Sunnybank to Ophelia, M-S 7am-7pm.


GOLF

  • Quinton Oaks off Rt. 600 at Callao.  18 holes course, driving range, practice green, lessons, daily 7am-dark.  529-5367.


MUSEUMS

  • Ball Memorial Library and Museum in Heathsville.  Mon., Wed. and Thurs. 9am-4pm.; every 2nd & 4th Sat. 9am-1pm.  580-8581.


PARKS, HIKING TRAILS

  • Bush Mill Stream Natural Area Preserve.  Forest walks, bird watching and wildlife.  4 miles from Heathsville to Rt. 201, keep straight on Rt. 642 for a half mile, turn left at the sign.  For info, call Belle Isle Park, 462-5030.
  • Hughlett’s Point Nature Preserve.  Sandy beach on the Chesapeake Bay at Dividing Creek.  End of Rt. 605 off Rt. 200, North of Kilmarnock.  462-5030.


SITES OF INTEREST

  • Coan Hall, site of the plantation of John Mottrom, Northumberland’s first settler, c. 1640, on Rt. 630 near Claraville.  Victorian cottage (privately owned) dates to c. 1870.
  • Cobb’s Hall Burying Ground on Rt. 669 near Ditchley, 1664 grave of Richard Lee.
  • Cypress Farm off Rt. 624 near Lewisetta, one of the area’s older cemeteries, dating to the early 1800’s.
  • Ditchley: National Landmark Georgia house, c. 1752, on Rt. 725, (privately owned).
  • Heathsville Historic District: includes Confederate Monument, 1873; Haynie Cemetery, 1697; Heathsville Methodist Church, 1894; Oakley House, c. 1800; old county jail, 1844; Rice’s Hotel, c. 1790; Rice/Richardson/Robertson House, c. 1900; Springfield, c. 1828; St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, c. 1881; Holly Graded School; National Landmark, 1920, on Rt. 360 in Lottsburg.
  • Howland Chapel: c. 1867, National Landmark on Rt. 201 near Heathsville.
  • Kirkland Grove: Baptist campground on Rt. 249 in Heathsville, 1892.
  • Locksley Hall: off Rt. 360 near Lillian, privately owned, c. 1865.
  • Northumberland House Cemetery: privately owned.  Grave of Col. John Monroe, Revolutionary War Officer, 1813.
  • Reedville Historic District (70 buildings) including Bethany UMC, c. 1900; bed and breakfasts, The Gables, c. 1909 and the Elizabeth House; the Reedville House, c. 1885; the Reedville Fishermen’s Museum, c. 1875.
  • Rice’s Hotel/Hughlett’s Tavern in Heathsville, built in the late 1700’s.